Julia Wittmayer holds a Master degree in Social and Cultural Anthropology and is interested in social innovation and social sustainability in urban areas and on local scale. Next to this she also has experiences in monitoring and evaluation in a transition context on the small scale (i.e. with transition initiatives in urban neighbourhoods) as well as on the national scale (i.e. with transition programs in agriculture, mobility and healthcare). Theoretically, she is interested in the roles, social relations and interactions of actors involved in transition (management) processes and initiatives.
Julia has been (co-) facilitating a number of transition management processes and has experience in training groups in transition management methods.
- Guest lecturer & Reflector Masterclass Transition Management (2011 – heden)
- Guest trainer “Transition Management” for the Pioneers into Practice Programme of the Climate-KIC, European Institute of Innovation & Technology 2013
- Invited guest lecturer/speaker at different occasions (e.g. University Antwerp, Bildungsministerium Baden-Württemberg, Future Cities Initiative Japan)
- Coaching policy officers/policy makers in applying transition management
- Wittmayer, J.M. & N. Schäpke (2014) Action, Research and Participation: Roles of Researchers in Sustainability Transitions. Sustainability Science. 9 (4): 483-496. DOI: 10.1007/s11625-014-0258-4.
- Wittmayer, J.M., N. Schäpke, F. van Steenbergen, I. Omann (2014) Making sense of sustainability transitions locally. How action research contributes to addressing societal challenges. Critical Policy Studies. 8 (4): 465-485. DOI: 10.1080/19460171.2014.957336
- Bartels, K. & J.M. Wittmayer (2014) Symposium Introduction: Usable Knowledge in Practice. What Action Research has to Offer to Critical Policy Studies. Critical Policy Studies. 8(4): 397-406. DOI:10.1080/19460171.2014.957335
- Frantzeskaki, N., Wittmayer, J. & D. Loorbach (2014) The role of partnerships in ‘realizing’ urban sustainability in Rotterdam’s City Ports Area, the Netherlands. Journal of Cleaner Production. 65: 406-417. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.09.023.
- Wittmayer, J., Roorda, C. and F. van Steenbergen (eds.) (2014) Governing urban sustainability transitions – Inspiring examples. DRIFT, Rotterdam.
For a full list of Julia’s publications, click here.