Harry R.M. te Riele (MSc, born 1960) is keen on work relating to innovation and complex societal change. He is an independent teacher, speaker, researcher, moderator, conference chair, and entrepreneur, focusing on societal transitions.
Harry has an evenly people- and matter-attached nature, a wide angle, loves innovation, and feels committed to society. Harry has remarkable presentation and social skills, in Dutch & English. Since two years his main theme has been the role of individuals in times of deep change. Harry brings in narratives and practical tools in order to link an individual’s perspective to deep societal change.
Active in a variety of domains Harry brings up cases from the worlds of agriculture&food, energy supply, transport&traffic, our monetary system, consumption&production, the asylum reception system, and our decision making routines. Since he’s worked for nearly any sort of principle he brings in the worlds of all government levels, companies, hi-level knowledge institutes, ngo’s, intermediaries, education institutes, and individuals.
He loves to share with audiences his personal experience with having established a peer2peer currency in the city of Rotterdam.
Harry runs his private five- and three day courses on societal transitions under the label Transitiefocus.com.
Harry moderated TEDx-Leiden 2012 on The Future of Finance, and several international scientific conferences.
He guest-lectured at Nijmegen School of Management, University Nijmegen; at Utrecht University, for master students business innovation; at Rotterdam University, faculty economics; Agricultural university of Bogor (Indonesia); at University Tilburg (environment & economy); at Free University Amsterdam, at Wageningen Agricultural University, at Delft University of Technology, and lead workshops at University of Leiden (Lorentz Center), and United Nations Paris (UNEP).
He’s given numerous speeches at conferences and gatherings.
- With Esther van der Valk Harry’s writing their book on societal transitions and the role of individuals.
- American Journal of Industrial Ecology, MIT/Yale, published his article on a novel framework for reducing the environmental impact of consumption (De Vries, Te Riele, ‘Playing with Hyenas’, JIE vol 10, nr 3).
- Harry is principle author of the Dutch early transition report ‘Transities, kunnen drie mensen de wereld doen omslaan?’ (Ministry VROM, The Hague, January 2000).
- He is principle author of ‘The CoraZone’ (on spatial planning in the corridor Rotterdam Antwerp; DRIFT).
- He is co-author of the report De Eiwittransitie, 30 jaar issue – tijd voor take-off (The Protein Transition, 30 years issue, time for take-off).
- He has published a range of articles in Milieu, the Dutch magazine for environmental professionals.
- He is a columnist for the Dutch MilieuMagazine having carte blanche.
- The book Eco-design, acht voorbeelden has been edited by SDU.
- De weerbare mens in een veranderende wereld has been published by the Dutch Raad Gezondheid Noord-Brabant.